Monday, December 28, 2009

A Small Light in a Dark Hole

I teach high school in a high poverty area. At parent-teacher conferences, I am lucky if 3 of my students' parents show up. It's a sad truth, and it disappoints me as an educator. However, every now and then, there are people who come along who make everything better.

There is a parent volunteer in my classroom this year (my first one ever!) who gives not only me hope in the future of this poor district, but also gives a glimmer of hope to my students. She comes nearly every day and helps the students who are behind learn to read and write. I wish that she could be added to the payroll, because in my eyes, and in the students' eyes: she is a true teacher.

Her warmth and caring disposition show us that there is hope for these disadvantaged students. She helps them and makes them feel better about themselves. This parent makes me feel good about coming to work, and I thank her whole-heartedly.

This post is part of the MAT@USC Hope for the holidays event. Did you experience or witness something in 2009 that gave you hope for the future of American eduation? If so, please see this post for more information on how to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment